- VP National Sales
- Location: San Diego/Orange County CA
BSG has commenced an executive search for Vice President National Sales for our client, a nationwide organization providing services sold into the national residential construction industry The VP National Sales will be responsible for playing a leadership role in the sales function of the company, planning and directing all the aspects of sales and marketing, including new customer acquisition and existing key account management.
VP National Sales
Headquartered in San Diego, CA, our client is a nationwide organization providing services sold into the national residential construction industry. Established over 25 years ago, our client is the United States’ largest and most respected solution provider for new building construction. Backed by a team of architects, engineers and inspectors with over 50 years collective experience and expertise in the industry, our client has developed a software platform and database that addresses construction risk, encourages collaboration and delivers qualitative and quantitative data – allowing builders to effectively make informed business decisions.Our client has a broad litigation experience and lengthy history of performing commercial and residential inspections for the construction industry. The valuable lessons gained from analyzing and repairing the hundreds of building projects have formed our clients' database –used to assess builder quality and reduce construction errors.
Our client has more data on construction than any other company in the world. When insurance carriers refused to insure construction in California, our client went to all the major financial centers and provided insurance carriers with demonstrative risk data to show that construction was not as risky as originally concluded. Our client has created all of the compliance metrics that are used today by the majority of insurance carriers.
Detail of Responsibilities
The VP of National Sales for our client is responsible for playing a leadership role in the sales function of the company, planning and directing all the aspects of sales and marketing, including new customer acquisition and existing key account management by performing the following duties:
- Responsible for the definition and execution of a sales plan for business development within desired markets in alignment with company strategy.
- Responsible for corporate sales materials.
- Participates and contributes to the development, execution and achievement of the company's overall strategy.
- Championing the recruiting, selecting, orientating, training, coaching and disciplining of the sales team.
- Foster a success-oriented and accountable environment within sales.
- Assist customers who require immediate and/or emergency services by going above and beyond to ensure completion in a timely and successful manner.
- Represent the company at various conferences, trade shows, and networking events.
Key skills, experience, and segment background include the following:
FUNCTIONAL skills/experience needed
- Consultative sales approach
- Both new customer prospecting ("hunter") and key account management ("farmer")
- National Account Selling
- Distributed sales team management
- Sales hiring/sales team building
- Sales management and metrics (quota and pipeline management)
- Incentive compensation structuring
- CRM (Salesforce or other) knowledge
INDUSTRY Experience: Construction Services
- Residential construction services
- Non-Residential (commercial) construction
- Emerging/growth phase of company development & rapid revenue growth, $20-$100M+
- Experience working with founders, investors, and board directors in closely held companies
MANAGEMENT & Leadership Experience
- Building scalable management processes without suffocating innovation/speed
- Success as individual contributor and as player/coach
- Remote/virtual team management
- Track record hiring A players for A team & "pied piper" for sales talent
- Ability to have a “seat at the table” and be a member of executive team who helps to lead and develop overall company strategy
Finally, this individual should have as many as possible of the traits required to succeed in this leadership position:
- High levels of intelligence, analytical strength and conceptual ability.
- The ability, and willingness, to set and communicate demanding standards for professional staff and to hold people accountable for their performance; at the same time, sensitivity to, and insight into individuals’ capabilities and development needs.
- Decisiveness when necessary, coupled with a willingness to seek input and build consensus as much as possible.
- Unquestioned honesty and integrity; also, loyalty to colleagues and to the organization, and the ability to inspire loyalty. This person should have the ability to identify and focus on the Company’s best interests, rather than the agenda of any individual or group within the firm.
- A very high level of energy and commitment, combined with enthusiasm and a positive attitude.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills; this individual must be able to communicate complex ideas and information clearly and concisely.
- Outstanding planning and organization skills.
- Good strategic instincts and long-term vision; the ability to address both big-picture issues and detailed, day-to-day management concerns.
- In general, the business and personal skills, and the absolute commitment, required to make a major contribution to The Company during the coming years.
- Demonstrate professional behavior and actions consistent with our client’s values.
The sales team consists of five account managers. There are 25 corporate employees, approximately a third are located in San Diego, and hundreds of quality assurance inspectors spread out throughout the United States.
A Los Angeles-based investment firm has invested in our client.
Compensation is competitive with the position’s requirements. In a performance-based environment, this will include base salary, and bonus structure based on corporate qualitative and quantitative business development targets.
To Submit Resume: