- Vice President, Engineering
- Arlington, VA/Washington D.C. Area
BSG has commenced an executive search for Vice President, Engineering for our client, a leading digital health platform that provides content, tools and real stories in an emotionally engaging way to inspire millions of patients and caregivers to live healthier and more fulfilled lives. Key to the position’s responsibilities include engineering and architectural team management and leadership, software development methodology evolution and adoption, as well as deep partnering with the product and editorial management teams to develop world-class products to specifications, on time, and within budget.
Vice President, Engineering
Our client is a leading digital health platform that provides content, tools and real stories in an emotionally engaging way to inspire millions of patients and caregivers to live healthier and more fulfilled lives. Our client is improving consumer health engagement and actions through the development of authentic communities of health information seekers who can interact and learn from relatable physician, pharmacist, public health and patient experts.
Our client’s mission is to empower patients and caregivers with the information and applications needed to efficiently navigate the healthcare landscape and as a result, to permit better health outcomes through use of its products and services.
The company was featured in Crain’s Best Places to Work in NYC, Crain’s Fast 50, and has been recognized as the Media Brand of the Year by Medical Marketing & Media (MM&M).
Our client is headquarted in mid-town Manhattan, with additional operational offices in Arlington, VA.
OUR CLIENT'S HISTORY
Our client started more than a decade ago as a print publication, distributed via doctors’ office and hospitals. When their current CEO was brought in, he systematically replaced print with digital publishing platform, and as of 2018, virtually all their content is delivered digitally to its constituents. In late 2017, our client was bought by noted local middle market private equity investor Topspin Partners in order to invest in and fuel the next chapters of growth for the business.
PRODUCTS & PARTNERSHIPS
Our client has an initiative developed by their experts, editors of the University of California, Berkeley, Wellness Letter to help millions of patients live their best life now.
Our client’s patient experts, influence treatment decisions and inspire patients to take action through a beautifully produced multi-media experience and engaging content and tools.
Our client’s publications have received numerous awards and accolades, including the MM&M Awards. Our client offers a multi-channel compliance and adherence suite that allows patients and caregivers to create reminders and even fill prescriptions with a home delivery pharmacy service. This suite is licensed as a private label product to the managed care, pharmaceutical, hospital, and retail pharmacy markets. Our client offers a comprehensive mobile app that is the only condition-specific health app to integrate patient education, tools, adherence reminders, and mail order pharmacy services. It provides exclusive sponsorship opportunities for iOS and Android operating platforms.
Our client’s digital platform is powered by a new content media system. Once the platform is completely deployed, it will unify front & back-end, and consolidate 13 platforms down to one.
Our client is looking for a Vice President, Engineering who will partner with the executive team in a hands-on, active role. Key to the position’s responsibilities include engineering and architectural team management and leadership, software development methodology evolution and adoption, as well as deep partnering with the product and editorial management teams to develop world-class products to specifications, on time, and within budget.
Success in this role will lean on 3 pillars of skills and experience:
- Has been prior software development leader of teams of 25+
- Has had strong career delivering B2C SaaS software solutions with a mobile-centric approach
- Has worked in fast-growth, privately held and/or investor-backed culture
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
A summary of key competencies required to be successful in this role include the following:
FUNCTIONAL Prior Success In
- Software development team leadership of 25+
- QA/QC (automated unit testing)
- Services-oriented architectural leadership
- Continuous-release (Jira/Agile) software development methodology with velocity metrics
- Web-to-mobile platform development
- Content Management Systems software
- Consumer focused UX/UI design leadership
- Creating high performance internal/3rd party consultant teams
- Strong SDLC track record
- Working with HIPAA and/or PCI compliance
- Feature/functionality trade-offs analysis
- Education: BS in CS, EE, Math, Physics
MANAGEMENT & LEADERSHIP Experience
- Building scalable management processes without suffocating innovation/speed
- Remote/virtual team management
- Track record hiring A players for A team & "pied piper" for software talent
- Strong track record of cross functional communication and persuasion vs. dictation
- Comfortable with ambiguity
- Experience managing offshore teams and working with distributed global stakeholders
- B2C SaaS software
- Consumer facing media/content properties
- Healthcare software with consumer UI
STAGE OF COMPANY Experience
- Experience working with board directors in investor-backed, closely held companies
- Growth phase of company development and rapid employee expansion, from 100-250+
Finally, this individual should have as many as possible of the traits required to succeed in this leadership position:
- High levels of intelligence, analytical strength and conceptual ability.
- The ability, and willingness, to set and communicate demanding standards for professional staff and to hold people accountable for their performance; at the same time, sensitivity to, and insight into individuals’ capabilities and development needs, and the combination of firmness and likability that all good leaders possess.
- Decisiveness, when necessary, coupled with a willingness to seek input and build consensus as much as possible.
- Unquestioned honesty and integrity; also, loyalty to colleagues and to the organization, and the ability to inspire loyalty. This person should have the ability to identify and focus on the Company’s best interests, rather than the agenda of any individual or group within the firm.
- A very high level of energy and commitment, combined with enthusiasm and a positive attitude.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills; this individual must be able to communicate complex ideas and information clearly and concisely.
- Outstanding planning and organization skills.
- Good strategic instincts and long-term vision; the ability to address both big-picture issues and detailed, day-to-day management concerns.
- In general, the business and personal skills, and the absolute commitment required to make a major contribution to The Company during the coming years.
- Attention to detail required to deliver consistently accurate data, information and reporting on time and on budget.
- A sense of ownership, not just of his or her own work, or that of their department, but a sense of ownership for the company as a whole.
- Work ethic required to do what it takes to get the job done, and invest the time required to deliver on key responsibilities in a timely fashion.
Our client’s team currently numbers approximately 100. The software development and engineering team currently numbers more than 25, and is slated for 25%+ growth in 2018.
A reputable private equity firm purchased a controlling interest in our client at the end of 2017. As such, the firm brings operating expertise, expansion capital, and both organic and inorganic strategic growth leadership that catalyzes all of their portfolio companies.
Compensation is competitive with the position’s requirements. In a performance-based environment, this will include base salary, bonus structure based on corporate qualitative and quantitative strategic KPIs, and a stakeholder position in the company.
To Submit Resume: