- Practice Leader
- Location: Based near either Boston or Detroit, though working remotely or in a hybrid setting
BSG has commenced an executive search for a Practice Leader for our client, a firm that consults worldwide on market research and merger and acquisitions and recently merged with an insights and strategy business. ThePractice Leader will be responsible for development of new engagement opportunities, project and staff management and delivery of engagements.
Our client was founded in the 1960’s and is a firm that consults worldwide on market research and merger and acquisitions. They recently merged with an insights and strategy business founded in the 1990’s and focuses on the industrial, heavy equipment/agriculture, and automotive industries.
The two businesses together provide the highest level of service including exclusive data, customized research, strategic consultation and operations services, and advising on merger and acquisitions. Our client utilizes its global expertise and well-rounded insights to drive solutions, growth, and value add for their clients and their shareholders. Our client’s headquarters are in Michigan and Massachusetts, with satellite offices all around the globe. This role and the associated team may be based near either Boston or Detroit, though working remotely or in a hybrid setting.
The Practice Leader is the cornerstone of a new project team tasked with expanding the existing business process and pricing consulting practice into new and adjacent markets such as Industrial, Construction and Private Equity Portfolio Value Creation. In this role, the Practice Leader will be responsible for development of new engagement opportunities, project and staff management and delivery of engagements.
- Drive growth, profitability, and company value.
- Lead marketing strategy for penetration of new verticals.
- Lead the design and execution of research and evaluation projects.
- Work closely with clients and prospects throughout the life cycle of each engagement, focusing on delivering quality results and actively seeking opportunities for expansion.
- Develop and implement scalable and efficient strategies to ensure both consistent results and exponential growth.
Build Great Talent and Teams
- Recruit, retain and develop a world-class consulting team.
- Nurture the entrepreneurial and high-performing culture.
- Empower the team towards autonomous delivery, while exercising appropriate balance of control.
Execute with Excellence
- Drive day-to-day operations.
- Align resources to achieve key business priorities.
- Proactively mitigate business, operational and governance risks.
Win in the Marketplace
- Drive “design win validation” in key markets by selling innovation value.
- Increase bench of customers in each sector specialty.
- Manage competition and threats in the marketplace, with constant evaluation of financial structure, capital strategy and strategic priorities.
Qualifications and Expertise
- Proven experience architecting business performance improvement solutions and delivering profitable engagements.
- Past experience as a leader of a high-functioning consulting team.
- Deep knowledge of pricing strategies and methodologies.
- Extensive experience interacting directly with C-level clients and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated track record building and sustaining relationships with client executives and developing and winning business opportunities in multiple industries.
- Demonstrated history of impactful leadership and contribution to business process services sales/business development efforts in a consulting environment.
- Experience working with channel partners.
- Known for delivering quality work within scope and budget with high client satisfaction.
- B.S. in an engineering or scientific discipline strongly preferred.
Skills and Personal Characteristics
- Player/coach leadership style with a preference for collaborative, hands-on management.
- Significant progressive consulting career experience.
- Proven sales/business development expertise.
- Defined by others as high integrity, smart, capable, hands-on, energetic, and effective.
- History of building and creating a strong team within a firm.
- Ability to drive consensus among leaders and teams.
- Proven track record of managing successful engagements and high caliber teams.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
A summary of key competencies required to be successful include the following:FUNCTIONAL skills/experience needed:
- Proven project and people leadership.
- Strong business development skills.
- SME-level expertise in pricing methodologies.
- Business operations consulting.
- Industrial, Construction/Building materials or Private Equity portfolio value creation.
STAGE of Company Experience:
- Consulting leadership experience in senior role in last 10 years of career.
- Build and managed a team of 5+.
MANAGEMENT & LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE:
- Hands-on player/coach, leading from the front.
- Coach and lead more junior members of the team by providing guidance, establishing goals and providing an appropriate level of feedback on a regular basis.
- Establish and grow relationships across capabilities.
- Lead the internal cross-functional team – inspire team to strive for superior client work and results.
- Actively pursue opportunities to share intellectual capital across the organization.
- Demonstrate mature leadership and empathy in difficult team situations – leads by example.
- At least 10 years in an executive leadership role.
Finally, this individual should have as many as possible of the traits required to succeed in this leadership position:
- High levels of intelligence, analytical strength, and conceptual ability.
- Strong presentation and team management skills.
- The ability, and willingness, to set and communicate demanding standards for professional staff and to hold people accountable for their performance; at the same time, sensitivity to, and insight into individuals’ capabilities and development needs, and the combination of firmness and likability that all good leaders possess.
- Decisiveness, when necessary, coupled with a willingness to seek input and build consensus as much as possible.
- Unquestioned honesty and integrity; also, loyalty to colleagues and to the organization, and the ability to inspire loyalty. This person should have the ability to identify and focus on the Company’s best interests, rather than the agenda of any individual or group within the firm.
- A very high level of energy and commitment, combined with enthusiasm and a positive attitude.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills; this individual must be able to communicate complex ideas and information clearly and concisely.
- Outstanding planning and organization skills.
- Good strategic instincts and long-term vision; the ability to address both big-picture issues and detailed, day-to-day management concerns.
- In general, the business and personal skills, and the absolute commitment required to make a major contribution to The Company during the coming years.
- Attention to detail required to deliver consistently accurate data, information, and reporting on time and on budget.
- A sense of ownership, not just of his or her own work, or that of their department, but a sense of ownership for the company.
- Work ethic required to do what it takes to get the job done, and invest the time required to deliver on key responsibilities in a timely fashion.
Locations and Partners
Our client’s headquarters are in Michigan and Massachusetts, with satellite offices all around the globe. This role and the associated team may be based near either Boston or Detroit, though working remotely or in a hybrid setting.
Compensation is competitive with the position’s requirements. In a performance-based environment, this will include base salary, bonus structure based on corporate qualitative and quantitative strategic KPIs, and a stakeholder position in the company.
Our client has the financial backing of a private equity firm.
To Submit Resume: