- Head of Human Resources
- Reporting to: Chief Operations Officer
- Location: Brooklyn, NY
BSG has commenced an executive search for Head of Human Resources for our client, a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 5,500 students across 15 schools in Central Brooklyn. The Head of HR will ensure that the human resources team meets the highest standards of customer service and leverages his or her knowledge of best practices to assure alignment of the human resources department with the network’s people strategy.
Head of Human Resources
Our client is excited about professionals who are fired up about its liberal arts program, positive approach to discipline, and commitment to serve all students. Join our client as they foster innate curiosities, encourage discussion and debate, and guide students to think their own way through to answers.
The head of human resources will ensure that the human resources team meets the highest standards of customer service and leverages his or her knowledge of best practices to assure alignment of the human resources department with the network’s people strategy. As a champion of our client’s mission, culture and values, this individual partners with the organization’s leaders to help them lead their teams, navigate and resolve employee relations issues, and support programs that develop best-in-class people.
Why extraordinary professionals choose our client?
Our client has a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 5,500 students across 15 schools in Central Brooklyn. Their mission is to lead their students on a great intellectual journey, providing them with an exceptional education and placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
They guide their students to think critically and independently and to enjoy education as an end in itself. They teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students’ natural curiosity about the world. They foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. Even their school buildings are designed to reflect our high aspirations for teaching and learning and the notable accomplishments that occur within our walls.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, they invest heavily in their team members by providing ongoing, best-of-class professional training and support. They encourage their team to collaborate closely and push one another to achieve great outcomes.
Staff satisfaction, appreciation, and recognition
- Collaborate closely with our client’s chief schools officer, chief talent officer, and chief operating officer to drive staff satisfaction and retention through the integration and alignment of onboarding, performance management, response to staff satisfaction surveys, and exit interviews
- Strengthen the connection that our client’s network team members have to the organization and mission; promote a network culture that ensures high retention
- Lead the development and administration of network-wide compensation strategies aligned with our client’s philosophy and talent strategy
- Partner with our client’s finance team in the selection, management, and administration of health and welfare benefit programs and retirement funds
- Build an exceptional network office culture by overseeing staff meetings, celebrations, response to network satisfaction data and feedback, and the performance management cycle
- Nurture a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Ensure that a strong performance management model is in place across the network, including planning organizational and individual goals, assessing performance, developing professional skills, and recognizing contributions that advance our client’s mission
- Collaborate across schools and departments to ensure the successful implementation of performance management systems as well as a consistent replication of our client’s culture and core values across sites and teams
Professional growth and leadership development
- Partner with our client’s chief schools officer, chief talent officer, and chief operating officer to provide management training and professional development opportunities for school directors and schools’ directors of operations
- At our client’s network office, systematically enhance leadership and managerial capability through differentiated trainings, coaching, and support that reinforce our client’s approach to talent development
Employee relations and HR compliance
- Act as a trusted advisor, coach, and consultant to senior leaders to improve their leadership capability, team effectiveness, and performance.
- Working with legal counsel, develop and manage workplace protocols, complaint procedures, and policies governing employee grievances and separations; resolve employee relations matters
- Coach supervisors in carrying out their responsibilities for employee relations matters
- Establish, communicate, and interpret HR policies and procedures, and ensure compliance
- Make recommendations for improvement of our client’s network’s policies, procedures, and practices
- Advise on performance management issues and lead investigations and remediation
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation, and ensure compliance with federal, state, and local law and regulation
HRIS and payroll
- Build out and populate the HRIS system to streamline people processes and enable sophisticated analyses of our client’s workforce that aid in attracting, developing, promoting, and retaining talent
- Work closely with payroll to ensure timely and accurate processing of people management transactions via the HRIS
The head of human resources reports directly to the chief operations officer.
Qualifications and traits
- MA/MS, PhD, or JD degree
- Minimum 7 years of relevant HR experience
- Strong technical understanding of HR functions, including but not limited to compensation, performance management, employment law, and leadership development
- Passionate about people
- Entrepreneurial mindset; committed to preserving a bold, can-do culture that sustains the organization’s values of integrity, curiosity, community, empowerment, growth, daring, and excellence
- Unimpeachable personal credibility
- A steward of ethical behavior who actively supports a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace culture
- Incisive thinker with strong analytic capacity
- Ability to passionately align with our client’s educational and workplace philosophies
- Ability to develop others through coaching, feedback, and professional development
- Ability to build trusting relationships and influence at all levels of the organization without direct authority
- Ability to analyze complex, sometimes ambiguous information and acquire data from multiple sources when solving problems
- Impeccable written, verbal, and presentation skills, with a sharp attention to detail
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines, navigating systems and an emerging organization of scale and complexity
- Superb organizational, project management, and process-building skills
- HR professional certification(s) preferred
Diversity at Our Client
Our client is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through their hiring practices and their focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into their way of working and educating students. Our client’s staff represents a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to our client’s entire community on the richness of humanity. Our client welcomes all applicants who share their mission and vision to join them in their deeply consequential work.
Our client offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package
To Submit Resume: