- Engineering Manager / Reporting to President
- Chartley, MA
BSG Team Ventures has commenced an executive search for Engineering Manager for Sinclair Manufacturing, a manufacturer of hermetic packages (using glass-to-metal or ceramic-to-metal seals) for microwave, fiber optic, and other miscellaneous hermetic electronic enclosure requirements. The Engineering Manager will serve as a member of the company's senior managment team.
Sinclair Manufacturing, founded in 1946, is a manufacturer of hermetic packages (using glass-to-metal or ceramic-to-metal seals) for microwave, fiber optic, and other miscellaneous hermetic electronic enclosure requirements. The company produces custom-designed, high-reliability products for aerospace, medical, optical, communications, industrial, and military customers. This privately owned business, which has revenues in the $10+ million range with about 60 employees, is based in Chartley, MA, approximately 40 miles south of Boston. Sinclair is ISO9001 certified and is compliant with U.S. government DFAR and ITAR requirements.
The Engineering Manager (“EM”) will report to the President and - along with the CEO, the President, and the VP of Sales and Marketing - will serve as a member of the company’s senior management team. Key responsibilities will include:
- Managing the daily activities of the engineering department, which includes three design engineers; a manufacturing engineer, who in turn supervises a technician; and a quality engineer.
- Training and helping to develop the individuals on the engineering team; setting high standards and holding people accountable to those standards; and adding to, or upgrading, the team as necessary.
- Working extensively with customers. This is done occasionally at the quoting stage but always with a design review after an order has been accepted. The EM will review the documents and design, and work with the customer to create a final product that will satisfy the customer’s application.
- Collaborating with and supporting all of the company’s other departments to ensure that the manufacturing process runs efficiently. In this regard, the EM and his/her team will work with the planning department, purchasing, other departments involved in manufacturing (such as tool making, stamping, CNC, assembly, etc.), outside plating subcontractors, and inspection.
- Conducting forensic analysis on those occasions when a customer experiences a problem with the package. This may involve metallographic analysis, communications with the customer, and in some cases visits to the customer’s facility.
- Working with the VP of Marketing and Sales to design new products in response to market and competitive intelligence.
- Participating in R&D projects as needed.
- Participating in decisions about capital equipment purchases.
- Overseeing the design of all fixtures and automation.
- Creating and maintaining procedures for engineering change notices and
production documentation development.
- Refining and maintaining the requirements for the Sinclair quality management
- Participating on Sinclair’s behalf in the activities of the JEDEC Solid State Technology Association (formerly the Joint Electron Device Engineering Council).
Ideal Candidate Profile
Desired experience and attributes:
- Demonstrated expertise in hermetic packaging; experience with the glass-to-metal sealing process is desirable.
- Strong familiarity with geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- A track record of success in engineering roles, particularly those involving
- Experience with SOLIDWORKS design software.
- At a minimum an undergraduate engineering degree. A graduate degree is a plus.
- Management experience within an engineering function.
- An understanding of the materials and processes needed to make a hermetic
- Intellectual curiosity; an interest in designing products, solving problems,
working with new materials, and advancing the technology.
- A comfort level in dealing with customers, vendors, and other constituents.
- A collaborative and cooperative attitude.
- Willingness to roll up one’s sleeves, play a hands-on role, wear multiple hats, and
generally do whatever it takes to get the job done.
- The ability for occasional travel.
For more information or to submit your resume, please click on the button below: