- Director of Engineering
- Reporting to: VP Engineering & CTO
- Location: MA
- Job Code: x344eng
BSG has commenced an executive search for Director of Engineering for our client, a fast-growing startup offering clinically-proven digital therapies for the treatment of neurological disorders. Key to the position’s responsibilities includes engineering and architectural team management and leadership, software development methodology evolution and adoption, as well as deep partnering with the product management team to develop world class products to specifications on time and within budget.
Director of Engineering
Our client is a fast-growing startup offering clinically-proven digital therapies for the treatment of neurological disorders. Their award-winning mobile application, is already used by tens of thousands of patients and clinicians across the world today and has won awards from the AARP and American Stroke Association. Our client’s products integrate science and therapy evidence in building its digital product.
Our client's addressable market opportunity is sizeable. In the U.S. alone, it approaches $32B. Global market size is a compounding multiplier.
PRODUCTS & TECHNOLOGY
Our client has created a digital technology product that assists patients in the rehabilitation of skills. The database includes a considerable amount of exercises, scientific research, related data, and a history of a patient's performance. Our client's self-learning performance engine uses advanced analytics to gather data every day in order to assign patient tasks automatically. Programs can be individually designed for a patient's therapy program and can be used at home or in conjunction with a doctor.
A neuroscience journal published research which showed traumatic brain injury and stroke patients who were provided access to our client’s products, under clinical supervision at home, showed significant progress.
Our client is looking for an experienced, innovative, and growth oriented professional. Reporting to the CTO, the VP of Engineering will establish and execute their technical vision, lead their engineering efforts and drive the company’s strategic directions, development, and future growth. Key to the position’s responsibilities includes engineering and architectural team management and leadership, software development methodology evolution and adoption, as well as deep partnering with the product management team to develop world class products to specifications on time and within budget.
The Director of Engineering, reporting to the VP Engineering & CTO, will have several key responsibilities:
- Work with executive team to drive 2.0 software vision—It is a key strategic role, helping to shape and architect the 2.0 version of their platform to build the next generation services architecture with a heavy emphasis on their data science and proprietary content management systems.
- Inspire, manage, top-grade and grow current software dev team of 15—the development team has also been budgeted to add at least one new SCRUM team of 5 to 6 and more as needed.
- Assess, design and roll out fully functioning Agile software development framework that will support company growth —the development team is currently running a modified Agile methodology; rolling out unit testing and SCRUM velocity metrics will be key to successful scaling.
- Partner with VP R&D, Product, Marketing and business development to drive successful product release engine—from helping technical framing for rolling releases of new features and functionality to working with operations around tech-ops best practices.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
A summary of key competencies required to be successful include the following:
FUNCTIONAL PRIOR SUCCESS IN
- Native Mobile software development for IOS and Android team leadership of 10+
- QA/QC (automated unit testing)
- CMS (Content Management Systems)
- Services-oriented architectural leadership
- Continuous release (Jira/Agile) software development methodology with velocity metrics
- Consumer focused UX/UI design leadership
- Open source software stacks
- Experience with big data software platforms like Cassandra, Hadoop, Mongo DB & Hive
- Data intensive software frameworks (ETL, structured data collection & cleansing, mart-building, analytics model building, etc.
- Creating high performance internal/3rd party consultant teams
- Strong SDLC track record
- Working with HIPAA and/or PCI compliance
- Feature/functionality trade-offs analysis
- Education: BS in CS, EE, Math
MANAGEMENT & LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE
- Building scalable management processes without suffocating innovation/speed
- Success as an individual contributor and as a player/coach
- Remote/virtual team management
- Track record of hiring A players for A team and “pied piper” for software talent
- Mindful of attrition and able to maintain current culture/cohesiveness
- Strong track record of cross functional communication and persuasion vs. dictation
- Comfortable with ambiguity
- Experience managing off shore teams and working with distributed stakeholders
- B2C Native Mobile Applications software
- Consumer facing big data powered properties (e.g., Google, Amazon, Facebook etc.)
- Other Internet, data intensive related providers
- Internet consulting firms (Sapient, Cambridge Technology Partners)
- Internet driven business intelligence software (e.g., EndecaAttivio)
- Healthcare software with consumer UI (e.g., other Patient Engagement Software)
STAGE OF COMPANY EXPERIENCE
- Experience working with founders and board of directors in investor backed, closely held companies
- Growth phase of company development and rapid employee expansion
Finally, this individual should have as many as possible of the traits required to succeed in this leadership position:
- High levels of intelligence, analytical strength, and conceptual ability.
- The ability, and willingness, to set and communicate demanding standards for professional staff and to hold people accountable for their performance; at the same time, sensitivity to, and insight into individuals’ capabilities and development needs, and the combination of firmness and likability that all good leaders possess.
- Decisiveness when necessary, coupled with a willingness to seek input and build consensus as much as possible.
- Unquestioned honesty and integrity; also, loyalty to colleagues and the organization, and the ability to inspire loyalty. This person should have the ability to identify and focus on the Company’s best interests, rather than the agenda of any individual or group within the firm.
- A very high level of energy and commitment, combined with enthusiasm and a positive attitude.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills; this individual must be able to communicate complex ideas and information clearly and concisely.
- Outstanding planning and organization skills.
- Good strategic instincts and long-term vision; the ability to address both big-picture issues and detailed day-to-day management concerns.
- In general, the business and personal skills, and the absolute commitment required to make a major contribution to The Company during the coming years.
- Attention to detail required to deliver consistently accurate data, information and reporting on time and budget.
- A sense of ownership, not just of his or her own work, or that of their department, but a sense of ownership for the company as a whole.
- Work ethic required to do what it takes to get the job done, and invest the time required to deliver on key responsibilities in a timely fashion.
Our client’s staff currently numbers approximately 32 employees worldwide. This role will report to the VP Engineering & CTO and will oversee a team of at least 14+ employees by the end of 2019.
Compensation is competitive with the position’s requirements. In a performance-based environment, this will include base salary, bonus/commission structure based on individual & corporate qualitative and quantitative strategic KPIs.
To Submit Resume: