- Chief Growth Officer
- Reporting to: President
- Location: East Coast
BSG has commenced an executive search for a Chief Growth Officer (CGO) for our client, an e-commerce selling partner that strategically helps over 40 globally leading brands best position their web presence to sell more products in the online marketplace. The CGO will supervise existing sales channels and partnerships, while developing a strategy for profitable revenue generation over the long term.
Chief Growth Officer
Our client is an e-commerce selling partner that strategically helps over 40 globally leading brands best position their web presence to sell more products in the online marketplace. They have a team of over 200 experts consisting of designers, copywriters, data analysts, marketers, attorneys, and logistics specialists who focus on delivering extraordinary experiences and greatly improving their clients’ growth. Our client offers a variety of services, including developing web content, advertising and marketing, data analytics, services to protect brand, distribution and fulfillment. Shipping over 50,000 orders, our client is private equity backed by a partner with over $1.5 B in assets.
The Chief Growth Officer (CGO) is a key member of the company’s executive leadership team and will oversee all revenue-related functions and processes across the organization. Reporting to the President, the CGO will supervise existing sales channels and partnerships, while developing a strategy for profitable revenue generation over the long term.
The successful candidate will have exceptional business development skills and experience selling complex products and solutions to top consumer brands and manufacturers. The ability to inspire, motivate, lead, and manage teams by clearly communicating the company vision and revenue strategy across all relevant functions will be critical. The CGO should have experience building an innovative, creative, and repeatable sales process from the ground up, and driving complex sales through to a successful close.
Success in this role will lean on 3 pillars of skills and experience:
- B2B e-commerce experience, preferably working within the Amazon ecosystem.
- Sales leadership of 5+ people.
- Experience developing and implementing strategies that drove significant and sustained growth into an organization.
The CGO will be an integral part of the senior leadership team with the following responsibilities:
- Develop and execute our client's sales and marketing strategy.
- Oversee the sales process from prospecting / hunting through deal-close, including lead generation, client meetings, prospect qualification, and RFP completion.
- Manage and proactively build / drive pipeline volume, accelerate sales cycle, and actively manage to close through the identification and qualification of new business opportunities that are consistent with strategic priorities.
- Leverage relationships with external stakeholders to positively impact retention and acquisition efforts. Understand, monitor, and communicate competitor activity throughout the market, identifying key strengths and weaknesses relative to our clients service offering.
- Effectively advocate for our client by articulating its market position, competitive advantages, and value proposition to prospective partners.
- Lead presentations to prospective partners independently and/or with senior business development team members.
- Work cross-functionally with internal teams to develop top-notch, personalized sales materials and pitch-decks.
- Track business development metrics, and share the analysis and insights to drive activity and support the overall health of the business.
- Represent our client at relevant industry events and conferences.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
A summary of key competencies required to be successful in this role include the following:FUNCTIONAL skills/experience needed:
- Experienced sales leader with multiple successful endeavors in B2B ecommerce marketplaces, performance marketing, and solutions.
- Strong business development and marketing background with a focus on CPG and brand manufacturer and building their ecommerce business.
- Revenue generator across all products lines in consumer products industry.
- Expertise with helping brands drive business transformation on a global scale in the ecommerce marketplace.
- B2B – Consumer Package goods, brand manufactures.
- eCommerce expertise, third party resellers.
- Specialties: Amazon, brand strategy and management, advertising, online marketplaces, e-commerce, digital marketing, operations management, social media, organizational management, and retail operations.
- Performance marketing for premium brands, CPG.
STAGE of Company Experience:
- Building new business/sales processes and best practices without suffocating speed, innovation, and customer satisfaction.
- Private company experience in senior role in last 10 years of career.
- Managed a team of 10+.
- $50M-$100M company revenue experience.
MANAGEMENT & LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE
- Develop the team and across capabilities by coaching, identifying areas for growth, celebrating successes, managing promotion process, keeping an open dialogue with the team, identifying training opportunities.
- Coach and lead more junior members of the team by providing guidance, establishing goals and providing an appropriate level of feedback on a regular basis.
- Establish and grow relationships across capabilities.
- Lead the internal cross-functional team – inspire team to strive for superior client work and results.
- Actively pursue opportunities to share intellectual capital across the organization.
- Demonstrate mature leadership and empathy in difficult team situations – leads by example.
- At least 10 years in a New Business/Sales and Marketing role.
MARKET & CUSTOMERS
- Amazon-focused marketing agencies that brands/seller hire to improve their rankings/sales/reviews, etc.
- Large Amazon sellers.
- Consumer brands.
Finally, this individual should have as many as possible of the traits required to succeed in this leadership position:
- High levels of intelligence, analytical strength, and conceptual ability.
- Strong presentation and team management skills.
- The ability, and willingness, to set and communicate demanding standards for professional staff and to hold people accountable for their performance; at the same time, sensitivity to, and insight into individuals’ capabilities and development needs, and the combination of firmness and likability that all good leaders possess.
- Decisiveness, when necessary, coupled with a willingness to seek input and build consensus as much as possible.
- Unquestioned honesty and integrity; also, loyalty to colleagues and to the organization, and the ability to inspire loyalty. This person should have the ability to identify and focus on the Company’s best interests, rather than the agenda of any individual or group within the firm.
- A very high level of energy and commitment, combined with enthusiasm and a positive attitude.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills; this individual must be able to communicate complex ideas and information clearly and concisely.
- Outstanding planning and organization skills.
- Good strategic instincts and long-term vision; the ability to address both big-picture issues and detailed, day-to-day management concerns.
- In general, the business and personal skills, and the absolute commitment required to make a major contribution to The Company during the coming years.
- Attention to detail required to deliver consistently accurate data, information, and reporting on time and on budget.
- A sense of ownership, not just of his or her own work, or that of their department, but a sense of ownership for the company.
- Work ethic required to do what it takes to get the job done, and invest the time required to deliver on key responsibilities in a timely fashion.
Backed/control owned by PE Firm and acquired our client in 2020.
Compensation is competitive with the position’s requirements. In a performance-based environment, this will include base salary, bonus structure based on corporate qualitative and quantitative strategic KPIs, and a stakeholder position in the company.
To Submit Resume: