- Business Development Manager
- Location: Greater Boston Area
- Ownership Structure: Generational Family Ownership
[CLOSED] BSG has commenced an executive search for Business Development Manager for our client, a third-generation, family-owned and operated wholesaler & services provider. The Business Development Manager will oversee the development of new revenue opportunities while managing and optimizing the sales force.
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
Our client is a third-generation, family-owned and operated plumbing and heating wholesaler and service provider founded in 1945 in Massachusetts. The business started as a heating specialty business which expanded and added on Designer Bath services in the mid 1970’s. A forward-focused company, expansion has been a consistent part of our client's history for the past several decades. The company owns multiple showrooms and wholesale stores throughout Massachusetts and beyond.
The Business Development Manager will be charged with the planning, organization, and implementation of Sales and Business Development activities. They are looking for a strong relational leader that can coach and mentor their sales team with developing relationships, selling to existing business customers, as well as aggressively searching for new business customers. Leveraging your past experiences, you’ll formulate and execute a sales plan, maintain a budget, set-up processes and procedures to meet or exceed sales goals and develop programs to increase sales, profits, and market shares while minimizing expenses. The Business Development Manager will work with marketing to develop marketing plans to promote business growth that aligns with leadership’s vision for the company.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, develop, and implement the Sales and Business Development strategies and policies.
- Oversee the development of new revenue opportunities with trade parties and other business alliances.
- Develop new market opportunities.
- Develop and implement effective pricing strategies.
- Develop, execute, and monitor promotion strategies.
- Develop, execute, and monitor the performance of marketing activities.
- Effectively manage the sales force, ensuring optimal performance.
- Maintain professional relations with customers, trade professionals, and external contacts.
- Establish and maintain effective communication and coordination with personnel and management.
- Sales functions are efficient, effective, and conducted in accordance with department policies and procedures, and with applicable laws.
- Sales policies and procedures are regularly reviewed and revised as necessary. Sales policies effectively complement and support Company strategic plans.
- New revenue opportunities are effectively developed with third parties and other business alliances.
- Market opportunities are well-researched and potential product and services sales and penetration activities are carefully pursued.
- Effective pricing strategies are implemented and revised as appropriate.
- Promotions programs are productive and cost effective.
- Sales personnel are effective, efficient, and optimally utilized. Good communication exists and support is provided as needed.
- Senior Management is appropriately informed of Sales activities and of any significant problems. Suggestions for improved efficiency and effectiveness are provided. Required reports and records are accurate and timely.
Ideal Candidate Profile
A summary of key competencies required to be successful include the following:FUNCTIONAL skills/experience needed:
- Experienced operations leadership with previous successful endeavors in the B2B sales experience in plumbing or construction/building materials.
- Experienced leader and manager of sales department and cross-functional department relationships with Finance, Marketing, HR, Leadership, etc.
- Knowledge of supply chain, warehouse, shipping of building materials/supply is helpful.
- Partner program management – account management skills.
- Strategic project management – demonstrated experience creating and driving growth initiatives.
- Expertise with driving business growth and increase market share.
- B2B – construction/building materials.
- Understanding of warehouse, supply chain, logistics management.
- Overall operational leadership.
STAGE of Company Experience:
- Building new business/sales processes and best practices without suffocating speed, innovation, and customer satisfaction.
- Family-owned company experience in senior role in last 5-10 years of career.
- Managed a team of 10+.
- $10M to $30M company revenue experience.
- Develop the team and across capabilities by coaching, identifying areas for growth, celebrating successes, managing promotion process, keeping an open dialogue with the team, identifying training opportunities.
- Establish and grow relationships across capabilities.
- Demonstrate mature leadership and empathy in difficult team situations – a player/coach who leads by example.
- At least 10 years in a New Business/Sales and Marketing role.
- Local Companies and Businesses.
- Construction/Building Trades.
Finally, this individual should have as many as possible of the traits required to succeed in this leadership position:
- High levels of intelligence, analytical strength, and conceptual ability.
- Strong presentation and team management skills.
- The ability, and willingness, to set and communicate demanding standards for professional staff and to hold people accountable for their performance; at the same time, sensitivity to, and insight into individuals’ capabilities and development needs, and the combination of firmness and likability that all good leaders possess.
- Decisiveness, when necessary, coupled with a willingness to seek input and build consensus as much as possible.
- Unquestioned honesty and integrity; also, loyalty to colleagues and to the organization, and the ability to inspire loyalty. This person should have the ability to identify and focus on the Company’s best interests, rather than the agenda of any individual or group within the firm.
- A very high level of energy and commitment, combined with enthusiasm and a positive attitude.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills; this individual must be able to communicate complex ideas and information clearly and concisely.
- Outstanding planning and organization skills.
- Good strategic instincts and long-term vision; the ability to address both big-picture issues and detailed, day-to-day management concerns.
- In general, the business and personal skills, and the absolute commitment required to make a major contribution to The Company during the coming years.
- Attention to detail required to deliver consistently accurate data, information, and reporting on time and on budget.
- A sense of ownership, not just of his or her own work, or that of their department, but a sense of ownership for the company.
- Work ethic required to do what it takes to get the job done, and invest the time required to deliver on key responsibilities in a timely fashion.
- Compensation is competitive with the position’s requirements. In a performance-based environment, this will include base salary, bonus structure based on corporate qualitative and quantitative strategic KPI’s and company performance.