Reporting directly to the CEO, the Vice President of Marketing will play a senior leadership role within the management team, overseeing all branding, customer acquisition, public relations, and channel marketing efforts.
This position will be responsible for the overall success of the Company's consumer offering, including user acquisition/adoption/retention and general management of the brand. The VP Marketing will build a business-to-consumer marketing function focused on the customer experience. He/she will also identify opportunities for increasing value and optimizing revenue growth and will ensure consistency in messaging across integrated marketing channels.
The VP Marketing will lead the Company's strategic and tactical consumer marketing initiatives and will assist with the development of the overall corporate strategy, vision, messaging, and product direction. He/she will be responsible for the creation of an innovative marketing strategy and outreach program for the Company. He/she will also act as a key external evangelist for the company when called upon.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Drive the Company's market research and segmentation, brand strategy, demand creation, channel definition and affiliate marketing programs, marketing communications, advertising, public relations, events, web presence, and sales support efforts
- Driving quantitative marketing metrics and dashboard that support a real-time feedback loop and test-and-learn marketing approach
- Digital Marketing – eg, social media, blog marketing, SEO, SEM, etc.
- Linear Marketing – e.g., radio, TV, etc.
- Brand – Define and integrate a unified corporate message, image, and brand across the Company's product, its website, its presentations, and its marketing collateral. Positioning, messaging, and the managing of any agency or design resources.
- Lead the budgeting and execution of marketing plans encompassing all products and consumer channels, driving a very cost-effective program that is appropriate to the company’s stage and funding
- Work with supply-side partners to define and drive programs that increase the leverage effect of their brand involvement and reach
- Be the leading advocate for the evolution of the end user experience that is enabled by the Company's products
- Lead participation within relevant industry forums
- Working closely with internal engineering resources, and in particular with the VP of Customer Analytics and Pricing, and VP Product
Qualifications & Experience
- Prior successful experience as a consumer oriented marketing executive focused on the delivery of a shopping experience to consumers via the web and mobile devices that significantly and positively impact business results and revenue
- A strong understanding of the overall business models used in the sale of consumer focused e-commerce
- Extensive understanding of U.S. consumer markets with the ability to sense and adapt to consumer requirements at this time and in the future
- Current relationships with key executives at consumer applications and content providers, and media and entertainment companies
- Prior experience and recognition as a market and brand creator
- A successful, hands-on track record managing all marketing functions in a dynamic, start-up environment
- Proven ability to developing and implementing creative and resourceful guerilla marketing strategies and programs
- A smart and decisive executive with proven analytical ability and strategic business and product development/management skills
- B.A. or B.S. is required. An M.B.A. or other advanced degree is desired.
Skills & Personal Characteristics
- Defined by others as smart, capable, hands-on, energetic, and someone who possess a strong entrepreneurial spirit.
- A product and corporate evangelist with outstanding strategic and conceptual thinking skills. Someone who is able to adjust rapidly to changing market conditions and new opportunities.
- A strong, assertive personality, able to make a creative contribution and build buy-in for ideas as well as integrate with the ideas of others.
Ideal Candidate Profile
The following diagram illustrates the intersection of competencies critical in the VP Marketing position: