- SVP Technology
- Reporting to EVP Technology
- Commutable to Boston preferred
BSG Team Ventures has commenced an executive search for a Senior Vice President Technology for our client which has created a sophisticated personalized health network that has empowered patients, pioneered new measures of health and disease, and amplified the patient voice to the healthcare industry. The SVP Technology's responsibilities include engineering and architectural team management and leadership, software development methodology evolution and adoption, as well as deep partnering with the product management team to develop world-class products to specifications, on time, and within budget.
Living Better Starts Here
Imagine this: a world where people with chronic health conditions get together and share their experiences living with disease. Where newly diagnosed patients can improve their outcomes by connecting with and learning from others who've gone before them. Where researchers learn more about what's working, what's not, and where the gaps are, so that they can develop new and better treatments.
It's already happening here. Our client is a free website where people can share their health data to track their progress, help others, and change medicine for good.
Today more than 500,000 members use our client’s website to connect with others, monitor their progress, and track their health status in medically-relevant ways. We have created a real world understanding of patients, and generated a new kind of medical evidence that gives a truer picture of human health. The company has worked with every major pharmaceutical company and a range of government organizations to bring the patient voice to research, development and public policy. Our client is a trusted source for real-world disease information and a clinically robust resource that has published more than 100 research studies.
In the next decade, our client will work even harder to apply innovation that drives a deeper understanding of the human experience. Its partnerships make our client a cornerstone in an ecosystem that will merge biological and experiential data with advanced technology to bring new insights into the factors that contribute to health, disease and aging. Individuals will have a personalized guide, not just for medicine, but for living a healthy life. And industry will have a unique window into the patient experience to improve outcomes and lives. It’s a vision of health we’ll realize with, and for, patients.
Our client is headquartered in the heart of global biotech research outside of Kendall Square, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Our client has spent the last 10 years developing a sophisticated personalized health network that has empowered patients in their own health journey, pioneered patient-centered measures of health and disease, and amplified the patient voice to the healthcare industry.
The company was founded by Jamie Heywood, his brother, Ben, and family friend Jeff Cole after the Heywoods’ brother Stephen was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). The trio built what became the first and only digital platform to date to collect and aggregate patient-generated health data, giving patients the real-world context to make more informed decisions and improve their outcomes. Today more than 500,000 people use our client’s website to track and share information about 2,700 conditions. The result is a unique window into the patient experience unavailable in any clinical system that also helps our client’s partners improve medicines, devices, and treatment protocols. More than 40 pharmaceutical companies and numerous government organizations have collaborated with our client and used its data to understand what it’s like to live with and treat disease. The company has also published more than 100 research studies based on patient-generated health data.
PARTNERSHIPS & PRODUCTS
Our client works across the pharmaceutical value chain and care continuum to integrate the patient voice into key decisions, product development and other core operations. Through multi-year collaborations designed to drive scaled transformation and near-term strategic projects, our client can support its client organizations to:
- Design patient-centered clinical trials
- Adapt the Target Product Profile
- Track and adapt based on how patients experience medicines
- Utilize unique longitudinal QOL and treatment data
- Design and build engaged communities
- Access rapid insights and feedback from patients
- Develop data infrastructures and ecosystems for insight, decision making, and care
- Test and develop use of sensors and devices
Our Client’s Solutions:
- Community Development
- Target Patient Experience (TPETM)
- Patient Experience Reports
- Clinical Trial Optimization
- Real-World Treatment Observation
- Clinical Trial Benchmarking
- Oncology Ecosystem
- Mental Health Learning
- System Care Empowerment
Our client’s website is coded using the Ruby on Rails platform.
Reporting to the EVP Technology, the Senior Vice President of Technology will establish and execute their technical vision, lead their engineering efforts, and drive the company’s strategic direction, development and future growth. Key to the position’s responsibilities include engineering and architectural team management and leadership, software development methodology evolution and adoption, as well as deep partnering with the product management team to develop world-class products to specifications, on time, and within budget.
Success in this role will lean on 3 pillars of skills and experience:
- Has been prior software development leader of teams of 40+
- Has had strong career delivering B2C SaaS software solutions with a mobile-centric approach
- Has worked in fast-growth, privately held and/or investor-backed culture
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
A summary of key competencies required to be successful in this role include the following:
FUNCTIONAL Prior Success
- Software development team leadership of 40+
- QA/QC (automated unit testing)
- Services oriented architectural leadership
- Continuous-release (Jira/Agile) software development methodology with velocity metrics
- Web-to-mobile platform development
- Consumer focused UX/UI design leadership
- Opensource software stacks (e.g. Ruby)
- Experience with big data software platforms like Cassandra, Hadoop, Mongo & Hive
- Data-intensive software frameworks (ETL, structured data collection & cleansing, mart-building, analytics model building, etc.)
- Creating high performance internal/3rd party consultant teams
- Strong SDLC track record
- Working with HIPAA and/or PCI compliance
- Feature/functionality trade-offs analysis
- Education: BS in CS, EE, Math, Physics
MANAGEMENT & Leadership Experience
- Building scalable management processes without suffocating innovation/speed
- Success as individual contributor and as player/coach
- Remote/virtual team management
- Track record hiring A players for A team & "pied piper" for software talent
- Strong track record of cross functional communication and persuasion vs dictation
- Comfortable with ambiguity
- Experience managing offshore teams and working with distributed global stakeholders
- B2C SaaS software
- Consumer facing big data powered properties (e.g.Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc.)
- Other Internet, data-intensive related providers
- Internet consulting firms (e.g. Sapient, Cambridge Technology Partners, etc.)
- Internet-driven business intelligence software (e.g. Endeca, Attivio)
- Healthcare software with consumer UI (e.g. EHR providers such as athenahealth, CareCloud etc.)
STAGE OF COMPANY EXPERIENCE
- Experience working with founders and board directors in investor-backed, closely held companies
- Growth phase of company development and rapid employee expansion, from 150-500+
Finally, this individual should have as many as possible of the traits required to succeed in this leadership position:
- High levels of intelligence, analytical strength and conceptual ability.
- The ability, and willingness, to set and communicate demanding standards for professional staff and to hold people accountable for their performance; at the same time, sensitivity to, and insight into individuals’ capabilities and development needs, and the combination of firmness and likability that all good leaders possess.
- Decisiveness, when necessary, coupled with a willingness to seek input and build consensus as much as possible.
- Unquestioned honesty and integrity; also, loyalty to colleagues and to the organization, and the ability to inspire loyalty.
- A very high level of energy and commitment, combined with enthusiasm and a positive attitude.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills; this individual must be able to communicate complex ideas and information clearly and concisely.
- Outstanding planning and organization skills.
- Good strategic instincts and long-term vision; the ability to address both big-picture issues and detailed, day-to-day management concerns.
- Attention to detail required to deliver consistently accurate data, information and reporting on time and on budget.
- A sense of ownership, not just of his or her own work, or that of their department, but a sense of ownership for the company as a whole.
- Work ethic required to do what it takes to get the job done, and invest the time required to deliver on key responsibilities in a timely fashion.
Approximately 150 employees make up the team today. The software development and engineering team currently numbers more than 25, and is slated for 25%+ growth in 2017-18.
Noted venture capital, private equity, and strategic investors in our client include:
An invaluable part of our client’s success, CommerceNet provided the seed capital, guidance, additional management experience, and key connections to help kick start our client. CommerceNet's innovative model combines the best elements of a research lab, startup incubator and public interest initiative. Its mission is to make the world a better place by fulfilling the promise of the Internet and e commerce. CommerceNet's Founder and Chairman, Dr. Jay 'Marty' Tenenbaum, is personally involved with our client as a board member and advisor.
Founded in October 2015, iCarbonX aims to build an Internet-based ecosystem of digital life based on artificial intelligence and a combination of an individual’s biological, behavioral and psychological data. The founding team includes the world’s top biotechnology experts, who have a wealth of experience in omics technology, mobile medical, medical service, biological data analysis, artificial intelligence and data mining. With a rapidly growing global foundation and in cooperation with the world’s leading partners, iCarbonX is devoted to interpreting, studying, guiding and managing the digital life, and providing personalized products and services for people to lead a healthier new life.
Invus is a New York-based investment firm with over $4B of capital in an evergreen structure. Over its 24-year history, Invus has guided more than 80 portfolio companies in a wide range of industries, including consumer packaged goods, consumer services, specialty retailing, software, telecommunications, medical devices, and biotechnology.
Omidyar Network is a mission-based investment group committed to fostering individual self-empowerment on a global scale. Established in 2004 by Pierre and Pam Omidyar, the Network derives its focus and values from Pierre's experience as founder of eBay.
Compensation is competitive with the position’s requirements. In a performance-based environment, this will include base salary, bonus structure based on corporate qualitative and quantitative strategic KPIs, and a stakeholder position in the company.
CONTACT or SUBMIT RESUME: