SVP of Corporate Development
Headquartered in midtown Manhattan, our client has a robust and proven technology-based secure identity platform which has applicability to multiple large markets. The platform ultimately involves interactions with consumers (“members”) but reaches them indirectly, so the company’s go-to-market strategy involves establishing relationships with the major participants in each vertical (“customers”). The company has a strong presence in its core business and is quickly expanding into other verticals.
This is a high-growth technology enterprise with over 300 employees. Revenues are budgeted in 2016 to be near $40M+.
The SVP of Corporate Development will report to the CEO and be a significant member of the senior leadership team. His/her charter is to leverage the company’s platform to drive growth in membership, revenues, and profits.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Creating a comprehensive business development strategy that covers two complementary elements: customers and partnerships.
- Customers: Broadening and deepening relationships in current verticals, while quickly assessing, prioritizing, and establishing an approach for pursuing new verticals.
- Partnerships: Identifying and pursuing mutually beneficial relationships with other consumer-facing organizations.
- Aggressively pursuing opportunities and closing meaningful deals in new verticals.
- Taking a hands-on and active leadership role in negotiating and closing deals with customers and partners.
- Thinking creatively about ways to increase the company’s value to customers and partners; this will include leveraging the company’s API to further embed the platform into existing infrastructures, and developing and marketing the company’s data analytics capabilities to help customers and partners optimize their businesses and create better end-user experiences.
- Working closely with the rest of the management team, and with customers and partners, to ensure that there is effective communication of critical information and that the company is able to deliver products and services which exceed expectations.
- Creating and refining internal processes and metrics so the Corporate Development organization can be scaled.
- Managing the existing team and expanding and/or upgrading as required.
- Conducting customer research and continuing to refine the company’s value proposition.
- Conducting competitive intelligence, and monitoring and responding to competitor moves and business trends.
- Monitoring, forecasting, and reporting on the business pipeline and on revenue, profit, and other key metrics.
Desired experience and attributes:
- Substantial experience, and a track record of success, in corporate development roles and in closing deals and generating revenue.
- Experience in consumer-facing technology businesses. Amazon, eBay, Expedia/Orbitz/Travelocity, Facebook, Google, Groupon, Priceline/Kayak, TripAdvisor, Twitter, and Yahoo are just a few of many, many possible examples.
- Experience in leveraging a platform by expanding across different vertical markets.
- An aggressive and tenacious approach to pursuing new markets, creating a sales pipeline, overcoming customer concerns, and so on; this must be a hungry and highly motivated individual who embraces the role of rainmaker.
- A collaborative and cooperative work style; outstanding interpersonal and communication capabilities.
- Experience with successful companies and effective leaders; a knowledge base of what it takes to build a great business and to avoid typical pitfalls.
- A rare combination of high-level vision and pragmatism. The SVP must be able to “think big” about opportunities while bringing analytical rigor to the evaluation of those opportunities and having a commitment to data-driven decision making.
- Unquestioned ethics and integrity.
- Genuine comfort and effectiveness as both a manager and a doer; an intense focus on getting things done, and a willingness to be as “hands on” as required.
- The ability to think like an owner; the ideal candidate will embrace accountability and will be efficient with both time and capital.
- Modesty and self-awareness; openness to feedback and coaching.
- Willingness to travel as required (perhaps up to 50% of the time).
Resume and cover letter can also be posted to the BSG website. No phone calls please.