Senior Vice President of Marketing
BISK EDUCATION IN THE NEWS
Based in corporate headquarters in Tampa FL, and reporting directly to the President, the new SVP of Marketing will take ownership of the strategic development, implementation, and tracking of marketing results for the company, focused on specific online programs from leading universities. These programs are created for and branded by private universities as extensions of their graduate and undergraduate online offerings.
Does this sound like the opportunity for you? Read on...
Founded in 1971 by Nathan M. Bisk, Bisk Education is one of the world’s leading providers of higher education online. Bisk is a leader in facilitating the online delivery of associate’s, bachelor’s and master’s degrees as well as professional certificate programs from the nation’s leading traditional universities and institutions. Individual enrollments in universities’ online programs that are powered by Bisk’s technology and support services have surpassed 757,000, representing more than 224,000 students – making Bisk one of the largest facilitators of e-learning in the country.
Bisk works with the following universities to help them extend their academic mission to adult learners online: Villanova University, the University of Notre Dame’s Mendoza College of Business, Florida Institute of Technology, Michigan State University, University of Florida, University of South Florida, Valparaiso University, New England College, University of St. Thomas, University of San Francisco, Jacksonville University, University of Vermont, The University of Scranton, and Dominican University. In addition, U.S. News University Directory, part of the Bisk network, provides comprehensive and unbiased information on more than 2,000 academic institutions directly from U.S. News & World Report, the most trusted source for college and university rankings since 1983.
The mission of Bisk Education is a simple yet vital one: To be the end-to-end solutions provider of lifelong learning that allows adult learners to reach their personal and professional goals through education. Bisk fully enables this process in numerous ways including: content creation; recording classes; assisting in recruitment, enrollment, admissions, and retention services; full creation of marketing content, collateral, and distribution including full online marketing channels; distribution of class materials.
Bisk’s motto is “Change someone’s life today”, this is not just true externally, but internally as well. Named as one of Tampa’s healthiest employers Bisk is dedicated to its workforce. Renovations are underway updating and creating a more open-space work environment to encourage innovation and collaboration within and between departments. On the way to becoming one of Tampa’s top employers Bisk embraces its entrepreneurial spirit and empowers employees to think and act as a member of the family. Recently restructured to create better career paths within points to Bisk’s dedication to their employees, and gives them room to grow – which is crucial given the generous paid-benefit for employees to participate in their educational offerings.
Based in corporate headquarters in Tampa FL, and reporting directly to the President, the new SVP of Marketing will take ownership of the strategic development, implementation, and tracking of marketing results for the company, focused on specific online programs from leading universities. These programs are created for and branded by private and public not-for-profit universities as extensions of their graduate, undergraduate, or certificate online offerings. Examples might be an online certificate in Transformational Nonprofit Leadership at University of Notre Dame or an online RN to BSN program from Villanova’s College of Nursing.
The SVP of Marketing will oversee a staff of marketing Associate Vice Presidents and be responsible for all elements of the successful integration and synchronization of marketing process, including setting the organization's student acquisition strategies, execution, and analysis of all lead generation marketing campaigns, and achieving the student recruiting sales goals.
Specific responsibilities and expectations include the following:
- Develop short- and long-term acquisition and retention management plans for each client program, establish objectives and develop strategies in support of these plans, facilitate implementation of strategies, and monitor progress toward goals
- Work collaboratively to design and implement the programs, outreach, and services to effectively support student learning and success from recruitment through graduation
- Manage the market research, media, and campaign execution process
- Provide insight and direction around programs to provosts, deans and others at client colleges and universities; demonstrate the competencies and command of marketing those programs
- Engage in an analytical, empirical, data-driven approach to problem solving and decision-making and facilitate a culture of evidence in enrollment management and student success
- Manage a staff comprising Associate Vice Presidents, Product Marketing Managers, Graphic Designers, Copywriters, and other marketing support personnel to achieve expected lead generation results for their respective online programs
- Launch direct response marketing campaigns using all forms of media, including: direct mail, email lists, banner ads, print ads, social, video, and web optimization strategies
- Lead the Product Marketing Managers in the planning and implementation of lead generation marketing campaigns that meet or exceed projections to grow overall revenues
- Create and manage a marketing production schedule for each program; create a graphic vision of campaign strategy, oversee freelance personnel, monitor approval process, oversee print production and the mailing process, and manage the database for tracking of responses
- Deliver complete campaign files containing: a campaign strategy summary, list order information, lead generation drafts and final summary, internal and external approvals, production schedule, cost summary, and copies of invoices for hard costs such as lists, printing, mailing, and postage
- Facilitate seamless execution between the marketing and enrollment departments
- Develop budget practices and procedures that allow the company to meet its administrative obligations and maintain a balanced budget
- Hire outstanding performers and build a gold standard marketing organization
- Interact effectively with other parts of the company, e.g., provide objective win/loss analyses and product feedback
THE CAREER OPPORTUNITY
For a proven leader in marketing, this position offers the following career opportunities—
- The chance to be part of a leader in a growth industry with unlimited potential
- For someone currently operating as a VP Marketing for a for-profit university, the chance to operate in the not-for-profit higher education market, with fewer regulatory constraints
- The chance to run a large (staff of 150) marketing organization
- The chance to realize significant upside opportunity for brilliance in execution
- The chance to work in a fast growth, high paced environment with a track record of success (and profitability)
- The chance to have “a seat at the table” as the company charts its future
- The chance to work in one of North America’s world-class cities
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate currently heads up marketing/customer acquisition for a for-profit university or other online higher education enabler. Less optimally, the individual could be in charge of marketing (1) for a complex, consumer-focused, intangible service such as health care, financial services, travel, insurance, or real estate, or (2) for a not-for-profit university, if combined with significant previous marketing experience for a commercial B2C company.
S/he should have demonstrated experience in creating lead-generation direct-marketing campaigns for educational or other high-end consumer products, and successfully converted the leads using telesales representatives.
Critical to a candidate’s background is a thorough understanding of the process and metrics of acquiring and converting prospects into customers (ideally students). This means in-depth knowledge and a stellar track record in market research, direct marketing, sales management, web marketing, media purchasing, and CRM software application. If s/he comes from outside of online higher education, then something analogous to the admissions process in online enrollment would be useful, i.e., the more complicated the sign-up/purchase process, the more appropriate the experience.
Specifically, this individual has--
- A demonstrated a track record of performance as illustrated by growing company revenues with the ability to introduce new marketing concepts proven to increase growth.
- Been successful in marketing online education (or some other analogous consumer service) to students (or consumers, if from an analogous service), knows where to find online adult learners and the nuances in marketing to them
- Knowledge of the higher education industry; understanding and experience in online learning is beneficial.
- Strong experience in a wide range of (if not all) marketing functions: advertising, direct marketing, telemarketing, grassroots and word-of-mouth marketing, public relations, marketing communications, website communications, online marketing (including paid search, search engine optimization, social media, mobile, video, etc.), market research and analysis.
- Experience in, or in-depth understanding of, enrollment conversion from lead generation to student starts through retention.
- Managed a marketing organization in which direct marketing plays a dominant role
- Led successful direct marketing campaigns focused on students or other consumers
- Developed and implemented strategies for signing up/enrolling students or other consumers
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in managing successful marketing campaigns with a direct impact on the attainment of company goals for revenue and market share growth
- Experience with and a high degree of confidence in joining a rapidly growing company, wherein business models and resources may shift. A can-do motivated attitude is key.
- Managed multiple brands with distinct differences
- High energy, with the experience working in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment and a strong desire to be involved with the management and cross-functional teams to create growth.
- A sincere openness to relocation to Tampa (unless already in the area) without compelling practical obstacles to making this move in a timely fashion
- A college degree; an MBA is preferred
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics CRM and Aspects Workforce Optimization a plus
Culturally and temperamentally, the ideal candidate is a team player who believes that individual success flows from the overall success of the sales organization.
This involves a range of personal attributes-- flexibility and adaptability; a great work ethic; leadership with minimal supervision; an ability to analyze and evaluate one’s own (and other’s) performance and to develop plans to improve performance; excellent presentation skills; willingness to take responsibility for both success and failure—a thick skin; self-confidence and a positive attitude about self, company, and marketplace; effective listening and questioning; sincerity, trust, believability and warmth; and a strong desire for success.
Compensation will include salary, performance bonus, and stock options commensurate with the individual’s experience.
Travel expected to be no more than 20% in a year.
INTERVIEW PROCESS | BACKGROUND CHECK
Bisk Education has an Employment Application, Work History and Background Check (provided to candidates). The background check includes compensation verification, professional references, employment and education verifications, state and federal criminal history reports, and drug screen.