Maritime Broadband Inc. (“MBI”) provides the only widely affordable, global, “always on” solution for unlimited Internet at sea. The company, founded at the end of 2008 and based in Long Island City, NY, has developed a proprietary antenna which uses the reliable C-band frequencies but is smaller, and therefore less expensive to produce and operate, than previously available systems. This offers major benefits to commercial shipping fleets including greater crew satisfaction (leading to lower turnover) and potential improvements in ship management (route optimization, operating efficiency, etc.).
MBI has been focused on R&D but is now rapidly transitioning to an operating company which can reliably deliver against worldwide market demand. The Company has a solid pipeline of prospective international customers, as well as opportunities for channel partnerships with significant companies in the maritime industry, and expects to be cash flow positive in 2015. To successfully navigate this transition, MBI is seeking a dynamic and accomplished senior executive who is inspired by the challenge of building an operating team, and establishing high-quality production processes and a global sales, supply, and service network, to help conquer the last Internet frontier – the world’s oceans.
This individual will be counted on to drive the business forward; to create the organization, systems, procedures, and infrastructure required for MBI to scale successfully; and to “own” the Company’s financial performance, closely tracking the relevant metrics and holding people accountable for results. He/she will:
- Report to the CEO and work closely with board and the rest of the management team
- Assume P&L responsibility; manage with strong awareness of the Company’s financial situation and bottom line.
- Play a senior leadership role in strategic and day-to-day matters
- Directly oversee R&D, production, operations, and finance
- Support the CEO in high-level sales and marketing activities
- Develop and implement the internal structures and processes needed to support rapid growth
- Attract, manage, motivate, and retain an outstanding team
- Foster a culture characterized by both collegiality and accountability
- Represent the company as needed with external constituencies, including customers, partners, investors, and advisors.
Does this sound like the opportunity for you? Read on
- Strategy: Work closely with the CEO to determine the Company’s overall path, set short-term and longer-term priorities, make major product and market decisions, monitor and respond to competitive activity, and ensure that MBI conducts itself in a manner consistent with its mission and values.
- Production: Help build a team and a structure to ensure that products are designed, built, and available to fulfill orders on a timely basis. This will involve a range of activities including electronics production, supply-chain management, assembly, quality control, and warehousing.
- Operations and Customer Service: Help build a team and a structure to ensure the smooth functioning of all customer-facing processes, including logistics, order fulfillment, installation, customer service, warranty activities, and network management.
- Finance and Administration: Recruit and manage financial staff as required; provide high-level financial strategy and guidance; help establish appropriate metrics; ensure timely and accurate reporting; and, most important, maintain – and manage the company based on – a clear understanding of the key indicators of MBI’s performance and financial condition. Also oversee human resources and general administrative matters.
- R&D: Work with, and support, the Chief Innovation Officer in his efforts to enhance current product offerings and develop new products and features.
- Sales and Marketing: Collaborate with the CEO, as required, in establishing and sustaining relationships with current and potential customers. Ensure that the sales and marketing team is provided with the processes and systems it needs in order to be successful.
- P&L leadership roles in one or more entrepreneurial ventures which successfully navigated rapid growth
- Demonstrated ability to grasp the key financial metrics of a business and to manage based on them
- A track record of recruiting and leading high-quality teams
- Substantial experience creating and implementing organizational structure and processes
- Familiarity and comfort with technology-based businesses
- Experience in both (or in a business which combined) manufacturing and services
- Significant international experience
- A track record of scaling a business with limited resources
- A demonstrated passion for growing customer and partner relationships by providing excellent service; experience in setting and enforcing service standards
- A college degree
- Unquestioned ethics
- A high energy level; must be a self-starter able to work with little supervision
- Excellent communication skills; the ability to work effectively with people at all levels, within and outside the company
- A hands-on approach; must be willing to roll up his/her sleeves and do whatever it takes
- Decisiveness; should have a thoughtful and collaborative style but be strongly inclined to take action and move the business forward