- Vice President, Technology
- Location: Any U.S. city where our cleint has an office; New York City preferred.
BSG has commenced an executive search for a Vice President, Technology for our client which leads the world wide initiative to stop online hate and harassment. The Vice President, Technology will build and direct our client as a leading center for research, thought leadership, and advocacy for fighting hate in the digital environment.
Vice President, Technology
Our client leads the world wide initiative to stop online hate and harassment. Our client advocates for making a respectful community in the online space and safe and equal for all.
Our client seeks an experienced, committed, and collaborative executive who has significant familiarity with the tech industry and its practices, products, and policies to serve as the Vice President of the organization’s technology department. This person will be a social justice warrior.
As Vice President, you would join our client as an innovative leader, seeking to advance the parent organization’s mission in an increasingly polarized society. The parent organization is in a unique position to fight against online hate because they combine a deep familiarity with the tech industry; longstanding expertise in fighting domestic extremism; world leadership in understanding and combating antisemitism; the lived experience of an organization rooted in a community targeted by extremists; and offices, staff, and volunteers located across the country.
You need to be familiar with the zeitgeist of the tech sector, and comfortable with ambitious plans for growth and continuing recruitment, mentoring, and leadership of teams focused on the intersection of extremism, hate, and technology. You will cultivate partnerships with tech companies, academia, and other tech policy and civil rights groups. You will be able to consult an advisory board of prominent individuals from venture capital, law, technology, and finance. You will collaborate closely with their government advocacy team. Finally, as Vice President, you will collaborate with our client’s growth team to help secure ongoing funding for our client and will interact directly with major donors.
- Build and direct our client as a leading center for research, thought leadership, and advocacy for fighting hate in the digital environment.
- Expand our client’s focus to include not only existing platforms and products, but emerging technology and platforms, including AR, VR, gaming, and “the metaverse”.
- Engage technologists in providing fact-based, quantitative research and analysis to help fight online hate and to provide digital services and products that further that goal.
- Have direct engagement with technology industry leaders and convene individuals and organizations that are working to combat “cyber-hate” and related problems.
- Impart our client’s vision and strategy to an energetic and collaborative team of committed technologists, lawyers, tech policy experts, and academics. Clarify and delegate roles, responsibilities, and budget for team of employees and external fellows.
- Embody our client’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Collaborate with our client’s senior leadership to shape a creative and pragmatic vision, structure, and strategy for long-term organizational planning to support our client’s growth.
- Develop and implement multi-year and annual operating plans.
- Represent our client (and its parent organization) as a spokesperson on cyber-hate issues and develop other staff to present at conferences and other programs.
- Communicate with the media and educate lawmakers directly and by publishing informative and analytical pieces on emerging tech topics relevant to fighting online hate.
- Network with and develop strong partnerships with industry, academia, civil society organizations, government, and other key stakeholders/influencers, including tech companies or policy centers working in relevant areas.
- Own the development of diverse talent by directing challenging assignments, making space for creativity, and providing supportive mentoring and coaching.
- Seek grants and other sources of funding.
- A visionary leader with demonstrated success in setting ambitious goals and inspiring those around them to achieve.
- 5-10 years of progressive leadership experience managing, developing, and scaling technical and/or analytical teams. A minimum of 7 years of experience in relevant technology, innovation, advocacy, and/or management. Preferred: significant tech advocacy leadership track record.
- Worked in or closely with technology companies previously.
- Ability to build and oversee teams that work remotely.
- Strategic business planning experience balancing innovation and fiscal prudence.
- Experience with change management, upgrading staff skills and driving accountability.
- Strong work ethic with a track record of delivering results in high pressure situations.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills with the ability to establish and maintain relationships at the grassroots and senior executive levels.
Advanced degree, or equivalent experience.
Additional Beneficial Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- Strategic and frontline fundraising expertise and a track record of operational achievement in the not-for-profit sector.
- Deep understanding of relevant legal and policy issues related to online hate, including harassment, hate crimes, and disinformation.
- Knowledge of current and emerging and interactive new media (tech) landscape, both its potential as a tool for social good and its problems as a medium and culture.
- Experience working on legal and/or tech policy capacity with government, nonprofits, or social justice organizations.
Compensation is competitive with the position’s requirements. In a performance-based environment, this will include base salary and bonus structure.
To Submit Resume: