- Chief Operations Officer
- Reports to: CEO, Darrell Silver
- Location: Open
BSG has commenced an executive search for Chief Operations Officer (COO) for Thinkful. Thinkful is the largest and top-rated school for software development and data science, is a mentor-led online school for engineers and designers, emphasizing ‘landing a job’. The program offers flexible, full-time, online courses spanning fields of web development, aimed at individuals experiencing a career switch or wanting more knowledge within the tech sector. The COO will lead all admissions, marketing, and local operations teams at Thinkful.
THINKFUL IN THE NEWS
Reporting directly to Darrell Silver, Co-founder and Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Operations Officer (COO) will lead Thinkful’s national market expansion strategy and hold direct responsibility for leading new local market entry and building marketing and admissions leadership.
In October 2012, Dan Friedman and Darrell Silver set out to impact adult education and career advancement. They saw the benefits of traditional classroom settings, the 1:1 student mentor impact, and online education coming together to change the future of adult training and education. Thinkful, the largest and top-rated school for software development and data science, is a mentor-led online school for engineers and designers, emphasizing ‘landing a job’. The program offers flexible, full-time, online courses spanning fields of web development, aimed at individuals experiencing a career switch or wanting more knowledge within the tech sector.
In summary, Thinkful is where world-class online technology curriculum meets a real-world professional network.
Headquartered in New York City, Thinkful employs a local and remote team of ~80. Currently they serve approximately 1500 learners located across the US, but focused where it has local operations in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, San Diego, Washington DC, Denver, and Boston.
By combining a centralized delivery of education with the in-person benefits, Thinkful is leading the industry in the hybrid education model. Their Data Science, Software engineering, and Design programs guarantee job placement and their courses have unprecedented levels of support. Curriculum includes: software engineering, data science and design. A few key student outcomes to date include:
- 82% of EI grads placed as full-time developers - 86% in tech careers
- Average yearly student salary increase of $15,616
- #1 rated by Course Report
The COO will lead all admissions, marketing, and local operations teams at Thinkful. Reporting to the CEO, s/he will drive long-term strategy as a member of the executive team and be responsible for shorter-term execution.
Specifically, this individual will:
- Serve as an active partner and strategic contributor to the executive team
- Assess, refine, and innovate the structure, systems, and processes of the marketing and admissions functions to ensure maximum effectiveness, efficiency, engagement, scalability, and innovation in a metrics oriented culture
- Establish and lead operational excellence to drive and manage the company’s impressive growth
- Open Thinkful’s next 20 cities. Own all new city launches (in collaboration with Growth Department), including which cities to launch. City launches should be increasingly repeatable and predictable in their operating plan, expenses, and reach
- Collaborate with the Head of Growth and Head of Marketing to solidify and expand (push past current limits) Thinkful’s existing local market (11 cities) position through branding, local event and digital marketing, public relations, SEO, optimized student inquiry generation, partnerships, enterprise and sales funnel innovation
- Drive best in class performance of digital lead generation methods by developing and monitoring progress goals with a data-driven approach
- Work to be a team player in the Thinkful culture where people are encouraged to operate independently but also within a collaborative atmosphere while moving at a rapid pace and with intellectual honesty
THE CAREER OPPORTUNITY
For an exceptional builder/leader, this position offers the following career opportunities—
The opportunity to join a high growth, fast-paced, disruptive industry leader
The opportunity to work in an entrepreneurial environment where the focus is on high achievement
Make a significant impact at this innovative company at a crucial phase of its expansion and evolution
The opportunity to work with a company that is committed to learner outcomes and career success
The opportunity to leverage an eager and highly energetic team of sales and marketing professionals
The ideal candidate comes from a senior sales, marketing, business development, or operations role and has experience bringing a company from $15M to $50M in annual revenue.
Specifically, this individual will have the following experience and capabilities:
3+ years of previous senior sales and marketing leadership role with P&L responsibility and the ability to work across many business units
Experience attracting, hiring, and growing top talent marketing, sales, and local operations teams (>10)
3+ years of B2C admissions and marketing experience in an executive position– including teams running digital marketing, paid acquisition, lead nurturing, admissions, sales, out of home, and R&D
Strong analytical capabilities with demonstrated ability to design and leverage data to drive business performance and maximize ROI
A proven track record and hands-on experience taking a company to > $50M
Values intellectual honesty and robust debates
Compensation will include salary, performance bonus, and equity commensurate with the individual’s experience.
Travel will be in no more than 25% in a year.
For finalist candidates a background check will be required. The background check may include, but is not limited to, professional references, employment and education verifications, state and federal criminal history reports, and drug screen.
CONTACT or SUBMIT RESUME:
Resumes should be sent as Word documents to Jennifer Florence: (No phone calls, please.)
Or submit your resume on the BSG website: