- Reports to President
- New York City, NY
- KIPP Foundation Website
BSG Team Ventures has commenced an executive search for a Chief of Programs & Impact for KIPP Foundation, which is national network of non-profit, open-enrollment, college-preparatory public schools with a track record of preparing students in underserved communities for success in college and in life. The Chief of Programs & Impact will lead KIPP’s development of a world class operating model and collaborate with regional leaders to implement that model consistently across the KIPP network with the goal of helping students reach their full potential in their K-12 experience, college and beyond.
Chief of Programs & Impact
KIPP IN THE NEWS
Reporting directly to the President of the KIPP Foundation, the Chief of Programs & Impact will play a key role in developing KIPP’s vision and strategy to promote the academic and life success of their students; lead the KIPP Foundation’s engagement with network leaders; and oversee design and delivery of critical support services to drive growth, develop and manage talent, and implement key academic practices. Specifically, the Chief of Programs & Impact will lead KIPP’s development of a world class operating model and collaborate with regional leaders to implement that model consistently across the KIPP network with the goal of helping students reach their full potential in their K-12 experience, college and beyond.
KIPP is a national network of non-profit, open-enrollment, college-preparatory public schools with a track record of preparing students in underserved communities for success in college and in life. Since their founding in 1994, KIPP has sought to prove what is possible in urban schools – to demonstrate that demographics need not define destiny and that all students can learn and achieve.
Along the way, KIPP has grown from two teachers in a single classroom to 200 schools in 21 states and the District of Columbia serving 80,000 students with more than 10,000 alumni currently in college. More than 87% of students are from low-income families and 96% are African American or Latino. Nationally, 94% of KIPP middle school students have graduated high school, 81% of KIPP alumni have enrolled in college, and 44% of alumni have earned four-year college degrees – more than four times the rate of students from similar economic backgrounds.
Most KIPP schools operate as part of metro-area regions—local systems of KIPP schools led by an Executive Director and governed by a local board. The KIPP Foundation is the KIPP network’s national umbrella organization. Their job is to help the network grow while substantially improving the academic and life outcomes of KIPP students. The KIPP Foundation supports regions in developing growth plans, recruiting outstanding leaders, implementing and improving academic and talent strategies, and developing programs to support KIPP alumni in college. They also facilitate the exchange of progress and performance data across the network, advocate on behalf of KIPP schools nationwide in public settings, and provide other management, operational and infrastructure supports.
KIPP’s passion for improvement and for proving what’s possible is reflected in the network’s ambitious 2020 goals, which include:
- Doubling the number of students served – reaching 120,000 by 2020.
- Doubling student outcomes – such that 75% of the high school senior class of 2020-21 is college-ready according to ACT benchmarks, and 50% of 8th graders are on a college-ready track.
To achieve these aggressive goals, the KIPP Foundation, working closely with regional and school leaders and staff, are developing a common operating model reflecting research-based best practices from the KIPP network and outstanding schools in the U.S. and globally. The implementation and iteration of this common model will reduce variability within the KIPP network enabling stronger performance.
Preferably based in New York City, the Chief of Programs & Impact will collaborate with regional leaders to meet the ambitious challenge of doubling KIPP’s size and outcomes through the design and implementation of a world-class operating model. The Chief of Programs & Impact will be the lead change agent in this significant transformation, aligning the KIPP network around a common set of systems and practices and delivering impressive results.
Specifically, this individual will:
- Develop a strategy to drive network implementation of common academic, talent and college support systems and practices, maximizing adoption, effective execution and ultimately generating meaningfully improved student outcomes.
- Lead the design and execution of world-class programs and services – leadership development programs, learning networks, coaching and consulting services, campaigns – to support network growth and improvement.
- Enhance the capabilities of the KIPP Foundation team to power achievement of the organization’s 2020 goals.
- Cultivate productive relationships with and between network leaders to leverage the network’s collective strengths and accelerate learning and improvement.
THE CAREER OPPORTUNITY
For a proven leader, change agent and systems thinker this position offers the following career opportunities—
- The opportunity to lead a nationally recognized school network through a unique and innovative transformation
- The opportunity to leverage a strong foundation and drive substantial growth in both number of students served and student outcomes
- The opportunity to implement global best practices at scale, proving what’s possible in American education
- The opportunity to build an equitable educational environment that levels the playing field for children regardless of their background and prepares them for choice-filled lives
- The chance to work with a passionate team of educators who are making a proven difference in the lives of students nationwide
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate has proven executive leadership skills, blending strong strategic and design skills with hands-on operational capabilities. This individual is an exceptional builder of productive relationships marked by trust, integrity and respect as well as a strong systems thinker with a proven track record of quality improvement across a distributed network.
Specifically, this individual will have the following experience and capabilities:
- Demonstrated leadership, management and coaching skills in dynamic organizational settings.
- Experience designing and implementing educational programs across curriculum, instruction, assessment and data strategy.
- A track record of building organizational capability though improved leadership practices and structures, talent strategy and professional development.
- Superior change management skills including demonstrated ability to build productive working relationships and successfully implement large scale initiatives across diverse stakeholders and environments.
- Experience driving quality improvement in core systems and practices in multi-site organizations.
- Ability to lead execution of complex work streams across multiple teams in matrixed environments.
Compensation will include a base salary commensurate with the individual’s experience.
Travel will be no more than 35% annually.
INTERVIEW PROCESS | BACKGROUND CHECK
KIPP has an Employment Application, Work History and Background Check (provided to candidates). The background check includes compensation verification, professional references, employment and education verification, state and federal criminal history reports, and drug screen.
CONTACT or SUBMIT RESUME:
Resume and cover letter should be sent as Word documents to Alison Thompson or via our website. No phone calls please.